Chocolate and Macaron making with Mark Tilling at Cake Innovations, Gravesend




Back in October I was lucky enough to spend two days learning from the fabulous Mark Tilling at Cake Innovations, Gravesend. On both days the classes were very small which worked out well for us!

The first day we made Italian style macarons. I've tried macarons before but never had much success, this method the Italian method is supposed to be easier. I have to say Mark made them look very easy and I haven't made them again since. I always mean to, but finding the time is hard, but I will.

We made two types of macarons, raspberry macarons (pink) and chocolate ones. We learnt skills such as splatter techniques, stamping with wax/brass stamps as well as making the macarons themselves. We were able to make loads of them so had plenty to box up and take home at the end of the day, and of course eat as they were amazing to taste. Definitely got to make them again so I can offer them as wedding favours!

The second day was Gourmet Chocolates Bar. Now I don't particularly want to make chocolates but I am looking to improve my chocolate making skills which are fairly limited. Any I do have, have been learnt from Mark last time he was at Cake Innovations. So the skills used in making the chocolates were what I was interested in.

To make these chocolate we used splattering, masking and marbling in chocolate as well as how to make various fillings including caramel, ganache and flavoured praline. We also learnt how to temper chocolate as well as have lots of discussions about chocolate related things and some unrelated plus a few laughs!

All in all a great couple of days and I am hoping Mark is going to come back to show us more of his fabulous chocolate skills!

Photos by Cake Innovations Ltd and myself and yes that is me in some of the pictures.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage style pink and white wedding cake

Purple and lilac heart wedding cake at The Hop Farm Wedding Venue

A very elegant wedding cake at Cooling Castle Barn