I keep thinking I should add some info about what goes on behind the scenes, especially when things dont go to plan and things that I have learnt during the making of a cake.
Today I have had such a horrendous day delivering two beautiful cakes to two local venues I feel I should share my pain with you. In hindsight relaying this to my partner and family it seems less of an ordeal but at the time when you are against the clock and have the responsibility of peoples big days on your shoulders it really was very stressful! You may or may not agree!
Cake 1
9.15 am Car loaded with 6 boxes for the first cake delivery of the day, approx 8 miles away.
Set off all fine, then suddenly the two routes to the venue are shut. There is a 20 minute detour along country lanes, single track roads, hump back bridges, all the things you dont need. And the odd horse and level crossing thrown in the mix.
I get to the venue, all fine, unload, wait for the venue to find the table cloths and set the cake table up and realise in my stress of delivering the most intricate cake ever I have left my bag of tricks including ribbon etc at home. Eventhough I checked my room twice.
So trip home trying to avoid the detour, just a few lanes, level crossing and horses.
Load the second cake up, grab my bag of tricks and head back to the original venue. Not straight forward as try to go without going on the detour so spend 7 minutes sitting at a manual level crossing, waiting for the signal man to saunter down the steps and open the 4 individual gates. On the upside as time is ticking away Iook at the signal box and realise I know it intricately as I made it on a cake last year.
I head back to the original venue, finish the cake, few minor issues but all resolved. Go out to my car to deliver cake no2 to find I am blocked in.....................
Cake 2
so I eventually leave the venue and try to work out which way to go. My Satnav was refusing to do anything so I took a guess and after 15 mins I realise I am going further and further in the wrong direction. Eventually when I realise my satnav isnt going to pick up a suitable road, I turn round and go all the way back, passing the original venue. I then hit the detour, single track roads, horses and hump back bridges etc. Eventually I hit a main road, I stop to ensure the cakes are ok in the boot before I head to the venue. I get back in the car, get stuck behind a lorry and some combine harvester thing, the 2nd venue phone to see where I am., Thankfully I have hands free in the car I’m driving. I eventually turn up at the 2nd venue at 1.20, luckily the cake is easy to set up and I am back in the car driving home. Quick trip to Morrison's to buy some cat food and I get in at 2.00pm almost 5 hours later! I dump my stuff in my cake room and have a cuppa!
I need to clean up tomorrow to start again on Sunday.......
I feel better for sharing this, but not sure anyone will take the time to read it! Oh well! 🙁




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage style pink and white wedding cake

Purple and lilac heart wedding cake at The Hop Farm Wedding Venue

A very elegant wedding cake at Cooling Castle Barn