Computer Game Cakes


Really I have no interest in any computer games, not even Candy Crush which many people I know are addicted to. So when people ask me to make cakes relating to computer games, I always find it tricky to ensure I achieve exactly what the child or person loves about the game, and often have to rely on the expertise of my 11 & 5 year old sons!!!

Minecraft cakes have been really popular recently. I have made 3 in about  6 weeks, with their characters, and the cake covered in hundreds of black, brown, and green squares. As I have said before having the Internet with such a good supply of pictures is is really useful. However it still takes time to cut out the 400 or so squares and stick them on the cake in straight lines to get the overall effect!!! Then there is the standing figures which obviously also have to be standing when they reach their final destination. Figures can be tricky and making them strong enough often involves inserting dowels, cocktail sticks or cake pop sticks through them and then inserting them into the cake along with edible glue and royal icing!

When I was taught to make model years ago, I was told to put spaghetti into models to keep them together as it's edible, but have been told since this is no good as the spaghetti goes soft and the models may fall apart! It's always important to ensure that the customer is aware of the use of sticks or non edible parts of any sort where models are concerned to avoid any potential choking hazard.

Angry Birds have also been popular with an Angry Birds birthday cake and cupcakes made last week. This I believe is something to do with birds trying to knock pigs out of the air? Not really sure! 

This week I have also made a Moshi Monster Cake, with an orange tiger/cat called Katsuma, it is the second Moshi my monster cake I have made for the same customer, the last one was Oddie, who to me looked a bit like an iced doughnut, but what do I know? Again advice is taken from my children and google to help get the essence of the game involved in the cake. I think I did ok, the customer was very happy when she collected it and that apart form being paid is all that matters!!!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage style pink and white wedding cake

Purple and lilac heart wedding cake at The Hop Farm Wedding Venue

A very elegant wedding cake at Cooling Castle Barn