My first wedding cake

So this is me in August 1995 sporting a very dodgy hair do and looking like I could loose a few pounds, however this is a special picture because it's me with my very first wedding cake. I am looking pleased with myself as it's such a big accomplishment, my mum was with me and so proud too.

By this point in time I had been making cakes as a hobby for about 2 years, I was under taking my City in Guilds in Sugarcraft and Design but I had never thought myself capable of making a wedding cake. Wedding Cakes after all are so important and can absolutely ruin someone's big day, however a friend of my mums nephew was getting married and had been let down by a cake maker and my mum volunteered me!!!!

The couple wanted a royal iced fruit cake in 3 hearts with pink drop loops and floral sprays. I can't remember much about the making of the cake or even how much I charged but I do remember putting it in my car and driving it to Dartford from my home in Aylesford to J&E Halls sports club in Dartford and wondering if my royal icing drop loops would still be there when I got there. I also remember it being a really hot August day!

Anyway, I got the cake there in its entirety and set it up with the sugar flowers, and felt really pleased with myself. Like cake decorating itself, it was the start of something new and something big that I never expected that went on to take over my life! Funny how things happen!!!

The bride and groom were pleased with the cake too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage style pink and white wedding cake

Purple and lilac heart wedding cake at The Hop Farm Wedding Venue

A very elegant wedding cake at Cooling Castle Barn