Katie and Matts Wedding

Katie and Matts Wedding Cake

I was first introduced to Katie through Kent Wedding Swap Shop. They were getting married in 5 weeks but the person who was originally going to make their cake couldn't deliver it to the venue on the day.

The brief was 3 tiers, dark purple ribbon (def not Cadbury purple.) and a character cake topper for the top tier.

The cake was 3 tiers of different flavour sponges, covered in butter icing and double iced in ivory icing. Nice and simple, but nice and simple isn't always easy! Nice and simple means the cake  often doesn't have much decoration of which means there is no room for error. The sides and top have to be perfect as there is nothing you can use to hide any flaws in the icing.

The cake and cake board were edged in a deep purple ribbon with a ribbon bow and large diamate broach on the top tier. The broach was attached to the cake with a large dollop of royal icing and allowed to dry before transporting.

As I was going alone to the venue. I took the cake as 3 separate tiers along with my repair bag and cake topper.

My emergency repair bag usually consists of a small brush for dusting off the cake, royal icing, scissors, ribbon, spare dowels and cutters, double sided tape for reattaching ribbon, camera and my iPad!!!

I had called the venue the day before to check the time that I could deliver the cake, and was told any time after 11.00 and that the bride and groom would be arriving about 1.30. I rolled up there at 12.10 so should be fine. No!!!

After finding reception and waiting for a receptionist, a very nice porter goes off to find out what is happening and which room the wedding is in for me to set the cake up. He comes back to tell me that not only is the room not ready, but there is a conference going on in there and that I have to set the cake up in the kitchen and leave if there. The staff will move the cake to the room once it is set up.

Now this does not make me a happy cake decorator! I had called the venue to confirm times, and my agreement with my bride and groom was to set the cake up in its final place . Much discussion went on between myself and the staff to no avail. The cake had to be set up in the kitchen, and so it was. I was not very happy about it and not something I I had ever had to do before.

The room I set the cake up in was full of artificial light so the room was badly lit which meant that the cake pictures were very green looking. I have had confirmation from the bride and groom that the cake made it safely in to the room and that they loved it which was a relief, but it just goes to show however much planning you me quite know what you are going to find until you get there!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage style pink and white wedding cake

Purple and lilac heart wedding cake at The Hop Farm Wedding Venue

A very elegant wedding cake at Cooling Castle Barn